blob: f97c1bbd0b13a335aa1a94ce8922b21f51c31aa8 (plain
## How to contribute to Ruby on Rails
#### **Did you find a bug?**
* **Do not open up a GitHub issue if the bug is a security vulnerability
in Rails**, and instead to refer to our [security policy](https://rubyonrails.org/security/).
* **Ensure the bug was not already reported** by searching on GitHub under [Issues](https://github.com/rails/rails/issues).
* If you're unable to find an open issue addressing the problem, [open a new one](https://github.com/rails/rails/issues/new). Be sure to include a **title and clear description**, as much relevant information as possible, and a **code sample** or an **executable test case** demonstrating the expected behavior that is not occurring.
* If possible, use the relevant bug report templates to create the issue. Simply copy the content of the appropriate template into a .rb file, make the necessary changes to demonstrate the issue, and **paste the content into the issue description**:
* [**Active Record** (models, database) issues](https://github.com/rails/rails/blob/master/guides/bug_report_templates/active_record_master.rb)
* [**Action Pack** (controllers, routing) issues](https://github.com/rails/rails/blob/master/guides/bug_report_templates/action_controller_master.rb)
* [**Generic template** for other issues](https://github.com/rails/rails/blob/master/guides/bug_report_templates/generic_master.rb)
* For more detailed information on submitting a bug report and creating an issue, visit our [reporting guidelines](https://edgeguides.rubyonrails.org/contributing_to_ruby_on_rails.html#reporting-an-issue).
#### **Did you write a patch that fixes a bug?**
* Open a new GitHub pull request with the patch.
* Ensure the PR description clearly describes the problem and solution. Include the relevant issue number if applicable.
* Before submitting, please read the [Contributing to Ruby on Rails](https://edgeguides.rubyonrails.org/contributing_to_ruby_on_rails.html) guide to know more about coding conventions and benchmarks.
#### **Did you fix whitespace, format code, or make a purely cosmetic patch?**
Changes that are cosmetic in nature and do not add anything substantial to the stability, functionality, or testability of Rails will generally not be accepted (read more about [our rationales behind this decision](https://github.com/rails/rails/pull/13771#issuecomment-32746700)).
#### **Do you intend to add a new feature or change an existing one?**
* Suggest your change in the [rubyonrails-core mailing list](https://groups.google.com/forum/?fromgroups#!forum/rubyonrails-core) and start writing code.
* Do not open an issue on GitHub until you have collected positive feedback about the change. GitHub issues are primarily intended for bug reports and fixes.
#### **Do you have questions about the source code?**
* Ask any question about how to use Ruby on Rails in the [rubyonrails-talk mailing list](https://groups.google.com/forum/?fromgroups#!forum/rubyonrails-talk).
#### **Do you want to contribute to the Rails documentation?**
* Please read [Contributing to the Rails Documentation](https://edgeguides.rubyonrails.org/contributing_to_ruby_on_rails.html#contributing-to-the-rails-documentation).
Ruby on Rails is a volunteer effort. We encourage you to pitch in and [join the team](https://contributors.rubyonrails.org)!
Thanks! :heart: :heart: :heart: